PRECAUTIONS AND REQUIREMENTS AT CONSTRUCTION SITE
Hard Hat or Helmet
A hard hat or helmet is issued to each and every personnel working on site. It has to be worn all-time at the job site.
Safety glasses are required at the construction site every time debris is filled in the air due to activities on site.
Hand Protection Gloves
Hand gloves are supplied to all personnel to protect against cuts when handling material or equipment, during cleaning operations, cutting metal studs, or similar works
Safety vests are also called high visibility shirts. The purpose of a safety vest is to keep the person always clear in view, even in the dark and he should be visible to everyone. Safety vests are of different bright colors like red, green, yellow so it’s easy for workers to see and locate each other
Basic Safety Precautions at Construction Site
- Guard rails to be installed at open scaffold areas, all openings in the building floor, in the excavated areas, at mobile elevated platforms.
- Yellow stickers with safety notes to be pasted where necessary
- All the working platforms should be stable, properly braced, should not be overloaded, and safe for the working personnel
- All the working areas and passageways should be free from waste or debris or any obstruction like stored material
- The site should be clean all the time and the material should be stored safely
- There should be proper arrangement of collection and disposal of waste materials
- First aid should be available at all times on-site for cuts burns or any mishaps
- Fire extinguishers to be placed on-site on proper locations in case of any fire
- That should be proper lighting arrangements on the site especially when the work is carried out during the night stand
Requirements on site
Material on the job site should be stored properly when not in use to prevent injury and wastage of materials. Ensure proper storage and good housekeeping. Proper storage can prevent the falls of the materials leading to material damage and accidents. The weight of the material stored should be within safe loading limits of the building floor. Keep the passageway always clear for walking of personal and prevent injuries. Always store the material away from traffic. Store material at least 6 feet away from the openings in the floor and 10 feet from the edge of the floor if the wall is not built on edge of the floor
The safety harness is an attachment between a fixed and mobile object and is usually fabricated from rope, cable and locking hardware. Full body safety harness to be used as a procedure for fall protection system ignorance can result in severe physical harm. Safety harnesses keep workers safe and are helpful in freeing their hands for work even while hanging on the side of a building.
Manual Material Handling
The personnel should be aware of his weight lifting capacity and if required take the help of another person if required instead of taking all load himself and use proper lifting techniques. Always need to wear the safety equipment’s while working on construction site
Mechanical Material Handling
Mechanical material handling also requires the same amount of safety as in the case of manual material handling. The equipment Operator needs to take care of the weight lifting capacity of the equipment like forklifts, cranes, and other similar to avoid accidents. Ground personnel should be in the machine operator’s vision always and should be aware of the safety procedures while working around the heavy mechanical equipment