Construction materials or Building materials is a material used for construction. Many naturally occurring substances, such as clay, rocks, sand, and wood, have been used to construct buildings. Apart from naturally occurring materials, many manufactured products are used, some more and some less synthetic. We have discussed the various types of construction materials used in building constructions.
The construction materials list includes cement, steel, sand, concrete, ready-mix concrete, binding wires, aggregates, bricks, blocks, etc. apart from these, various eco-friendly construction materials are also used.
Materials used in building construction have to be selected carefully to ensure the safety and long-lasting life of the building. Construction materials’ definition is the materials used in construction projects are called construction materials.
1. Cement: A cement is a binder, a substance used for construction that sets, hardens, and adheres to other materials to bind them together. Cement is seldom used but rather to bind sand and gravel together. Cement companies produced mixed with fine aggregate make mortar for masonry, or with sand and gravel has to concrete.
2. Structural Steel: Structural steel is a popular construction material used alongside concrete to create impressive and long-lasting buildings. Its versatility, sustainability, and flexibility are the main reasons for its use and cost-effectiveness.
3. Reinforcement Steel: Steel reinforcement bars or rebars are used to improve the tensile strength of the concrete since concrete is fragile in tension but is strong in compression. Steel is only used as rebar because of the elongation of steel due to high temperatures (thermal expansion coefficient) nearly equal to that of concrete.
4. River sand or Natural sand: This sand is white-grey and is one of the fine-graded sands used to construct buildings. They are mainly used in concrete and masonry work. They can also be used for RCC, plastering, and other brick or block works.
6. Concrete: Concrete is the most widely used construction material in the entire world. These materials include cement, water, fine aggregate, and crushed stones or gravel. Sand and gravel or crushed stones are fine aggregate and coarse aggregate, respectively.