Transportation is literally described as a means of carrying people as well as goods and animals from one location to another. It has been in existence since the earliest times where wooden carts and animals like horses, donkeys, and bulls were used exclusively. As tines changed we saw numerous inventions taking place and the changes resulted in the invention of cars, buses, trucks, spacecraft, helicopters, ships, airplanes, etc taking the place of earlier transports.
The importance of transportation is that it enables trade, commerce, and communication that establish civilization. It is good planning that manages traffic flows and enables the undisturbed and steady movement from one place to another.
In both developing and developed economies, transport continues to play a crucial role. When transport infrastructure is properly connected, the environment is conducive to economic growth. However, the lack of adequate transport can inhibit economic development due to constraints that limit opportunities.
MODES OF TRANSPORT :
- Road vehicles (trucks, vans, motorcycles)
- Inland waterways (barges)
- Deep sea
- Air (Aircraft and drones)
IMPORTANCE OF TRANSPORTATION:
1. Transportation helps in mass production and stability of prices
2. Transportation helps in economic development
3. Transportation offers numerous opportunities
4. Transportation helps in social development
5. Transportation helps in industrial and agricultural development
6. Transportation helps in political development
7. Transportation helps in bringing people closer during natural calamities
8. Transportation helps in cultural development
9. Transportation helps in the growth of business organizations
Transport is the foundation of any society. Economies thrive on having the right infrastructure that consists of features such as proper road links and modern airports. Many industries require transport to improve their businesses. Workers depend on transport to fulfill their obligations. Good transportation promotes business ventures by enabling the workforce to move around safely and quickly. Each day and at every moment, the importance of transportation is apparent. The whole political, social, and economic well-being of a nation relies on a well-organized transport system. Various forms of movement are available, including trams, buses, bikes, trains, trucks, cars, planes, and more. Each mode of transportation has its level of value in different parts of the world that makes it more crucial to one demographic than another.