Bamboo is one of the oldest and traditional construction material used in different construction activities. The bamboos strength it is more as compared to other construction material. Bamboo as a building material has greater compressive strength and it is lightweight so that it is widely used as a construction material. Bamboo is a versatile material, used to make paper and bed sheets. It is also strong enough to use as scaffolding for skyscrapers and has a long history of use in vertical construction.
Different works involved with use of bamboo:
1. Splitting of Bamboo: The bamboo canes are split into halves or quarter sections using a knife ideal for the job and setting them apart by a wedge. About four or eight segments can be acquired which are used as canes, strips or battens. Canes can be peeled to make strings and ropes up to the age of 18 months.
2. Shaping of Bamboo: Even though bamboos are naturally circular in form but if they are grown in a box of square shape they acquire a shape as desired.
3. Bending of Bamboo: Bamboos can be bent while they are freshly cut by heating them above the temperature of 150° C. Bamboo will retain this shape even after cooling and drying off.
Advantages of Bamboo as a construction material
- Bamboo has high tensile strength as compared to Steel because of its fibres runs axially.
- Bamboo has good elastic property so that it is widely used in the earthquake-prone areas.
- Bamboo has high fire resistance and it can withstand up to 4000 degree Celsius.
- Bamboo economical and easy to use as compared to another type of construction material.
- Bamboo is easier for transportation and construction.
- Bamboo is lightweight material as compared to other construction material.
- Bamboo is an environment friendly construction material and does not cause pollution.
- Bamboo is more durable as compared to other construction materials.
Disadvantages of Bamboo
- Shrinkage: Bamboo shrinks much greater than any other type of timber especially when it loses water.
- Durability: Bamboo should be sufficiently treated against insect or fungus attack before being utilized for building purposes.
- Jointing: Despite prevalence of various techniques of jointing, structural reliability of bamboo is questionable.